Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day Eight

Day Eight: Tuesday, March 29th.

Today we arrived in Spain! We woke up to the gentle rocking (ok maybe not so gentle) of the train as we were about an hour outside of Madrid. The train supplied each guest with a breakfast box (doughnut, apple, plain yogurt and a juice box) and we all managed to get dressed, washed up and prepared for our day in Madrid.

We pulled into the train station, gathered all our kids and luggage and made way for the hotel. The hotel located just above the train station in Spain. It was by far the best hotel we stayed in. It was a four star hotel with great service, beautiful décor, and a great vibe. We all quickly changed, cleaned up and once again gathered onto a bus for our very first city tour of Madrid.

We spent three hours wit our guide Jorge. He took us all around Madrid. We stopped at the Estadio Santiago Bernabéu where Real Madrid play for a photo shoot and then ventured over to the Royal Palace. The only problem I had with visiting these beautiful palaces was that you are not allowed to take pictures. We got off the bus and walked to the Royal Palace, it was here Brian and I realized we had left our money on the bus (it was safe, just inconvenient). I was grumpy and without caffeine so I took it out on him, but lucky for me he loves me in spite of my faults. ;) The Royal Palace was beautiful and just a bit above the city that you had a spectacular view. We had a great tour inside and even walked trough the Throne Room (which was used to host a visit from Prince Charles and Camilla Parker the very next day).

After the royal Palace we all headed to the Puerto del Sol to do some shopping. Spain is amazing. Everything slows down. People are calm and chill and it’s as if time doesn’t really matter. They sleep in, takes naps after lunch, eat late late dinners and literally dance the night away. I love Spain. One we wondered around the Puerto del Sol we set off for the Plaza Mayor. It was beautiful too. There were street performers everywhere. We saw Dora the Explore, Mickey Mouse, an invisible man Chewbacca, a storm trooper and many others. All this was in addition to the amazing shops, coffee and pastries that Madrid had to offer.

My favorite thing about Europe is if I want to eat or drink I do, no regrets!

We finally left the Puerto del Sol and made our way to dinner at a buffet called Fres Co. I

tried a dish called paella and fell in LOVE. Now if only I can recreate it at home.

After dinner we were able to let anyone call home with the help of Google talk and Brian’s netbook. Calls were made, kids cried (I did too), everyone showered, relaxed and went to bed.

It was a great day to be in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment