Monday, January 24, 2011

A Typical Monday

Today was an interesting day at work. We started bright and early with a staff book study over the book "Learning by Doing." Not my first choice in a book, but actually had some good ideas that, as a 9th grade teams, we have been working towards.After that book discussion I headed back to my classroom to prepare for the day.
First let me explain- I have a total of 10 minutes that I get to be alone every morning. I generally arrive around 7:00 am an as soon as I unlock the door, turn on the lights and power up my computer the countdown begins.
10-8 mins- I unload my belongings: put my purse away, lunch in the fridge, take off the coat and scarf and take a sip of my delicious homemade mocha (courtesy of Brian).
7-4 minutes Head to the write board. Write down daily activities, standards and objectives. Think about and add a journal topic for the day and head back to my desk.
3-2 mins- Sit down, log into on-line grade book, log into school email, and check new emails.
1 min- Attempt to drink and enjoy coffee.
Then they walk in.
A constant chatter of high school gossip, drama and profanity. I don't know why they come in, but they do. In addition, there are always the lazy kids who NEED to drop off their bags before class starts because it is absolutely impossible for them to carry the extra weight. Then the students who missed the previous day and need to be caught up, plus the one who need to finish that last assignment and from then on it is non-stop. The next 40 mins my classroom is scatter with sleepy kids, talky kids, gossipy kids, grumpy kids, and lazy kids.
Soon enough the bell rings and it is time to begin my day.
Today was really no different. Most of the class period my students were quietly (I use the term VERY loosely) writing paragraphs of significant and important life events. As they are working I call them up on at a time to check their notebooks and let them know their most current great. Not even halfway through the list one of my students informs me she is pregnant (at 15). Now I am a bit skeptic wen any of my students tell me they are expecting because last year I had a student who literally faked a pregnancy with a fake belly and all.
So this girl tells me she's pregnant, no longer living at home and she asks me for advice (which I DO NOT give). I tell her my best advice is that she needs to talk to one of the counselors and they will inform her of all her option. I spend the whole day worrying about her to find out 7 hours later (when I talk to the counselor) that the student is not expecting but has a bladder infection.
Why do they lie about these serious things?

No comments:

Post a Comment