Thursday, March 17, 2011

Awesome Teaching Idea (I think)

So sometimes I get these crazy ideas--slightly crazy lesson plans that I can't help but try and attempt. The other day I came up with a doozey.

Let me start by explaining that I live for my third period class-Creative Writing. This class is like a family, I mean it. We have 15 kids total- all different, like snowflakes. We have preps, jocks, nerds, cheerleaders, Indy kids, band geeks, and bookworms. Kids who would never talk to each other in a traditional classroom can't stop talking in this class. I love this class.

We are just finishing up our poetry unit and for some reason we decided to host a "Creative writing Coffeehouse." OK let me be honest, any chance these kids get to bring in food they are all over it. We have food all the time it seems. We've had a Halloween party where we shared original urban legends, A Christmas Party where we watched Alice in Wonderland and discusses fairy tales, we even had a food poem day where we spent all period writing poems about food and using the five senses.

Now the coffeehouse...

So on Tuesday we decided that next Monday (since I won't be there for the rest of the week-I'll be in Europe) we would have a poetry slam/coffeehouse day. That morphed into a coffeehouse/poetry reading with food, then coffeehouse with coffee and food and an all black wardrobe and berets. Before I knew it we had a plan. Monday all 15 (for the most part) of my students and I will dress up like Beatniks, drink coffee, eat cake and read poems.

How awesome is my life!?!?!

I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. remember when we went to our first coffeehouse concert and the guy had the tree on his head? what was that about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah OMG I completely forgot about that! He was crazy! I miss those days. Can't wait to see you tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete