Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day Four

Day Four (Friday, March 25th): Today we had an early start. Breakfast was opened early for our group because our bus needed to leave at 8:00 to take us to Stratford-upon-Avon and Oxford. We all gathered downstairs and went straight for the food. It turns out yesterday's full English buffet was a fluke. Today they were ready for us and we had a very simple buffet:cereal, yogurt, toast and coffee/tea. I took a little bit of everything. (Hey, why not?) We finished breakfast and loaded up onto the bus. Suddenly we realized that we were missing a student. Her roommates had left her in the room (while she was showering) and so she didn't realize that it was time to go (although we told every student the leave time the night before.)

Once everyone was in the bus we set off for Stratford-upon-Avon. We first needed to drop off a small group from the Colorado folks who weren't coming and pick up our guide for the day (Barry). This turned out to be a two hour trip, and Barry, while enthusiastic, is not exactly our students' “cup of tea” if you will. I slept most of the ride but when we were just outside of Anne Hathaway's cottage I had no problem getting up. :)

Anne Hathaway's cottage was beautiful and from here we went straight to Shakespeare's birthplace. Once again neither place would allow us to take photos inside, but I sat in seats Will may have sat in and touch things he may have touch. That was good enough for me. We left the home he was born in and then ran to the church he was buried in. Out of all 48 travelers only Brian, Mayren, Karyne and I were able to see it. Wow! We then grabbed a quick bite at a little cafe' called The Food of Love. Brian had a sausage roll(sausage rolled in a pastry). Brian says it is a big pig in a blanket. I had a delicious little spinach and goat cheese pastry and a small mochachino. The group met back at the meeting point (and for the second time so far our Caldwell group was on time) and we drove for 30 minutes to Oxford.

Oxford was beautiful. The idea of the colleges, history and libraries was enough to make me weak in the knees. We walked past places the help mold the minds of William Golding (Lord of the Flies), Graham Greene (The Destructors),J.R.R Tolkien, C.S Lewis and Lewis Carroll (woot!)

As we were walking down these cobbled alleyways, through chapels, and corridors I realized that one of our chaperons was missing. She had left to go to the rest room and she told a parent from the other group, but no one she actually knew. So I spent a good 20 mins looking for her before we gave up. And soon enough she walks up like it wasn't even an issue. In addition to this I was told that I needed to tip the bus driver form yesterday in addition the the city guide ( I was told I didn't need to tip bus drivers until Spain) and, of course, he was upset. So I started to cry. Brian calmed me down, I bought a super cute Banksy shirt and as we all gathered to get back on the bus we realized we were missing the other female chaperon from Caldwell. The group all walked to the bus and Brian, Daz and I stayed behind ot find her. Well it turns out a student who was counted for had decided to go back to a store and luckily we saw her or we would have left her behind too. Finally the other chaperon showed up and she had been confused about the meeting time. This was the third time today that someone was late or missing from the high school group and the second time it was a chaperon. I have not been this disappointed in people in a long time. This is only day four. I still have six days of this!?!?! Oh Dear. I honestly don't know if I can do this anymore.

At least the food was good, I had a vegetarian Mousaka with salad and rice. Yummmmmmmm. For dessert we had the most AMAZING slice of Banafy (probably spelled wrong). It was light and creamy and fluffy and chocolaty and bananay and awesome. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment